What to Expect During an Eye Exam
Every eye exam at Clarity Optometry includes several tests to determine your visual acuity and assess your overall ocular health. If you wear contact lenses, we also evaluate how well your eyes are handling your lenses.
Each appointment is an hour long so we can be as thorough as possible. We place a great deal of importance on ensuring you are comfortable and confident in your eye care.
What’s Included in an Eye Exam?
- A visual acuity test & refractive assessment: This test determines how well you see at varying distances with and without corrective lenses. A refraction test determines your prescription for corrective lenses.
- A slit lamp examination: This exam uses a microscope and bright light to examine your eyelids, eyelashes, sclera, cornea, and lens. When used with dilating eye drops, a slit lamp exam can also check your retina and optic nerve. This test can detect issues like conjunctivitis, corneal abrasions, glaucoma, cataracts, and more.
- An eye muscle test: This simple test assesses the strength of the muscles that control your eye movement. It checks your muscles for weakness, poor control, or poor coordination that could result in uncontrolled eye movements, misaligned eyes, eye movement accuracy, and double vision, among others.
- Glaucoma testing: We use tonometry to check your intraocular pressure (IOP). An elevated IOP could indicate the presence of glaucoma, a disease that damages your optic nerve. At Clarity Optometry, we use 2 kinds of tonometers: Icare and Goldmann.
- Retinal imaging: We invested in the Optos retinal imaging device, which takes a detailed, ultra-widefield image of your retina. This test allows us to detect issues with the retina, such as macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. These images are kept in your patient file so we can closely monitor changes to your retina over the years.
These are just some examples of the tests you’ll undergo during a routine eye exam. Your personal history, family history, risk factors, and current health conditions determine the exact tests you need.
If we feel your eyes need more attention, we’ll conduct additional tests to ensure we obtain a clear picture of your ocular health. You are our priority, so we do everything we can to ensure nothing is overlooked and that your eyes are properly taken care of.
At Clarity Optometry, we’re dedicated to providing you with personalized, comprehensive, and accessible eye care. Let us help you maintain strong, healthy eyes, and please book your eye exam today!